Author of Ed Engoron’s Choclatique, Running Press, 2011
Sometimes you just don’t have time to bake a pecan pie for the holidays. You still want that homemade look and taste of toasted pecans, but the last thing you want to do is buy a store-bought pie. This is a great solution when you need it fast.
This is a short and busy week for us at Choclatique. We will be filling orders for the holiday and trying to pull everything together for our own celebrations. It definitely puts our staff on overdrive and this is just the beginning of the holiday season for us. So last night I got a head start on something sweet and simple to test for my Thanksgiving dinner. It was quite yummy and picture perfect. The best part the recipe is that it calls for ingredients almost everyone has in their pantry.
Hey, how can you go wrong with fresh butter, toasted pecans mixed with the toffee and Choclatique chocolate? Yum!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Yield: 24 bars
Ingredients for the base:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup pecan halves
TOFFEE TOPPING (ingredients and directions follow)
1 cup Choclatique Milk Chocolate Chips
Directions for the base:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the flour and brown sugar in large bowl. With a pastry blender, or better yet, an electric food processor, cut in the butter, vanilla and almond extracts until fine crumbs form (it’s okay if a few large crumbs remain).
- Press mixture onto bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the pecans over crust.
- Prepare TOFFEE TOPPING (see below); drizzle evenly over pecans and crust.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until topping is bubbly and golden; remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle milk chocolate chips evenly over top; press gently onto surface.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 24 to 36 bars.
Ingredients for the toffee:
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions for the toffee:
- Combine the butter and 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stirring constantly continue to boil boiling 30 seconds.
- Drizzle immediately over base.