Chocolate Pecan Pie
Makes about 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
Chilling Time: 3 to 4 hours
Ingredients for the Crust
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound cold unsalted butter cut in ½-inch pieces
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening cut ½-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 ounces (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) very cold water
Ingredients for the Filling
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
Ingredients for the Topping
10 pecan halves
Directions for the Crust:
1. Put the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse briefly to combine.
2. Add the butter, shortening and Choclatique® Dark, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips (4000-count); pulse just until coarse crumbs form about 30 seconds.
3. Add the lemon juice and water. Pulse just until moist crumbs form.
4. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and gently shape it into two equal disks about 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
5. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour of up to 1 day.
6. Then, roll one disk (saving the second disk for another pie) of dough between two large pieces of lightly floured parchment.
7. Roll into a 14-inch-diameter round that’s about 1/8 inch thick. Remove the top sheet of parchment.
8. Gently roll the dough around the pin and position the pin over the pie pan.
9. Unroll, gently easing the dough into the pan, gently but firmly pressing the dough against the sides and bottom, taking care not to pull or stretch.
10. With scissors, trim the edge of the dough, leaving a 3/4-inch margin from the outer edge of the pan. Tuck this dough under to shape a high edge crust that rests on top of the rim. Pinch and crimp.
Directions for the Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF.
2. In large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, margarine, vanilla and eggs; beat well.
3. Stir in Choclatique® Dark, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips (4000-count) and pecans. Pour evenly in pie crust-lined pan.
4. Bake at 325ºF for 55 to 65 minutes or until deep golden brown and filling is set. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool until completely cooled about 1 hour.
5. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. Melt 2 tablespoons reserved chocolate chips in microwave oven or in a small saucepan over low heat. Dip each of 10 pecan halves in chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate 15 to 20 minutes or until chocolate is set. Garnish pie with whipped cream and chocolate-dipped pecans.
6. Store in refrigerator.