Author of Ed Engoron’s Choclatique, Running Press, 2011
Black & White Brownies are either a cheese cake-brownie or a brownie-cheesecake. It is rich, chocolaty and absolutely delicious. It is not difficult to make, but very easy to eat. An unknown chef (so many inventive chefs never get credit for their work) at Chicago’s Palmer House Hotel created this dessert after Bertha Palmer requested a dessert for her lady friends. They had all planned on attending the fair. It should be, she said, smaller than a piece of cake, though still retaining cake-like characteristics and easily eaten from boxed lunches. These first brownies featured an apricot glaze with walnuts, and they are still being made at the hotel according to the original brownie recipe. Brownies went on to be rated third in the top 10 snacks just a few years after they were invented.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Ready In: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 Brownies
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Choclatique Rouge Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coffee flavored liqueur
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vodka
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 9-inch baking pan tapping out the excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, cream together 1 1/4 cups of sugar and 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 2 eggs and mix well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the coffee liqueur.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Evenly spread half of this mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of sugar. Add the softened cream cheese and mix well.
- Stir in 1 egg, 2 tablespoons butter, and the vodka. Mix until smooth. Spread this evenly over the chocolate layer mixture.
- Pour the remaining chocolate mixture over the top of the cream cheese mixture spreading with an off-set spatula. You can make a fancy pattern of stripes or swirls with a fork or knife.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When brownies are cool, brush with the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur.
ChefSecret: If you don’t have any vodka on hand you can substitute with 7-Up or another lemon-line soda.