Author of Ed Engoron’s Choclatique, Running Press, 2011
My partner, Joan, and I are suckers for state and county fairs. We go for the creative circus food that you find at such events. We always like to get there early and stay late giving us the opportunity to taste as many things as possible. Out first search is always for those gooey cinnamon rolls. Several years ago we discovered colossal, chocolate cinnamon rolls. The aphrodisiac aroma of cinnamon and chocolate alone led us to the food truck making these scrumptious rollups.
With the following recipe you can bake them exactly when and how you like them without waiting for the fair to come to town. Finish them off with a heavenly cream cheese glaze and you have a masterpiece. Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls are not only for the fair; they make a great alternative to traditional holiday breads ane great for brunch too!
Yield: 16 cinnamon rolls
For the dough
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 (3.4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup warm milk
1 egg, room temperature
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-1/2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup Choclatique Black Onyx Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Choclatique Natura Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
For the filling
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup Choclatique Milk Chocolate Chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For the frosting
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook combine the water, melted butter, chocolate pudding, warm milk, egg, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, bread flour, cocoa powders and yeast.
- When dough mix becomes somewhat elastic (about 15 minutes), place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 17×10 inch rectangle.
- Spread with softened butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cinnamon and chocolate chips (and pecans, if desired). Sprinkle brown sugar-chocolate chip mixture over dough.
- Tightly toll up dough, beginning with long side. Slice into 16 one inch slices and place in 9×13 buttered pan.
- Let rise in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While rolls bake, stir together cream cheese, softened butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Remove rolls from oven and top with frosting.